Heatizon Contributes to LEED Credits with Green Radiant Products
Going green isn’t the wave of the future….it has become a prime focus of today’s building practices. And at Heatizon Systems, we’ve designed radiant heating products that support green concepts, like sustainability, use of fewer natural resources, and energy-efficiency. So, while you enjoy comfortable, radiant heat and lower home maintenance costs, Heatizon will help you protect the environment.
If designing, building working and living in green buildings is important to you, Heatizon Systems radiant heating products are a perfect solution.
Seven Shades of Green
- Heatizon Products use electric energy—a quickly growing and renewable energy resource.
- Heatizon Products are 100% energy efficient, and consume less energy than conventional heating systems, so they lower energy demands.
- People are more comfortable at a lower ambient air temperature when Heatizon Products are in use. This means you can maintain the same level of comfort with a lower thermostat setting, saving energy and money.
- Heatizon uses zone heating, which means you can heat only the rooms you use, and turn it off in the rooms you don’t. Zone heating can produce energy savings of more than 20% compared to heating both occupied and unoccupied areas of your house.
- Heatizon Products produce zero emissions at the source—no odor, fumes, smoke, exhaust, or noise.
- Heatizon Products have solid state design, so parts don’t wear out. That means they have years of life, and don’t need replacement.
- Heatizon Products are made predominately of recyclable materials.
How does Heatizon fit into a LEED Project?
Heatizon Products that can benefit a LEED score are categorized as follows:
- Low Voltage Electric Floor Warming
- Low Voltage Electric Space Heating
- High Voltage Electric Floor Warming
- High Voltage Electric Space Heating
Snow Melting applications are not considered a “Green” technology but rather for safety, convenience, sustainability of materials for parking, driveway, walkway, and road applications.
Can products be LEED certified?
The intent of the LEED standard is to provide design guidelines and a third-party certification tool for green building. Products cannot be LEED certified; only buildings can be. However, many products can contribute to a project’s overall LEED score.
Can products help a project earn LEED points and credits?
Yes. While points or credits are not awarded specifically for using a particular product, many products offer features that can be factored into a project’s point and credit calculations. Such calculations can be based on qualities that relate to the criteria encompassed by the LEED rating system.
So how does a Heatizon System contribute to a LEED Rating?
There are many factors associated with different applications, they are broken down as follows:
- New Construction or Major Renovations
- Existing Buildings
- Commercial Interiors
- Core & Shell
- Neighborhood Development
For all Major Applications:
Several Categories are covered. In order to see if a Heatizon System will benefit the energy performance category a simulation will be done for the building energy consumption, this works in correlation with a heat loss calculation, efficiency etc. Green Power is introduced as an option when choosing utility usage, where will the power come from? Are there any choices or contracts to sign for the use of renewable energy such as hydro power or wind power generation.
“Green hospitals seek to reduce use of and exposure to toxic chemicals and provide healthier environments.” – Adele Houghton, Project Manager, Green Guide for Health Care. “By employing green practices, whether incrementally or from the ground up, many hospitals are managing to lower energy bills, reduce waste and achieve healthier indoor air quality.”
Patients in green hospitals have greater emotional well-being, require less pain medication and other drugs, and have shorter hospital stays” – Rick Fedrizzi, President, CEO & Founding Chair, US Green Building Council.
It is also dully noted that studies have shown dramatic increases in the health, happiness, and productivity of people who live and work in green buildings. Providing safe and comfortable work places in high stress environments is vital to the health of the employees and patients and increases staff effectiveness and satisfaction, greatly reducing errors contributing to the quality of patient care. – Press Release:gghc.org – The Green Guide for Health Care.
Heatizon radiant products can help earn LEED points in the following categories:
Energy & Atmosphere
- EA Prerequisite 2 – contribute to acceptable minimum levels of energy efficiency
- Optimize Energy Performance – EA Credit 1: 1-10pts
- Construction Waste Management – Heatizon Products are specifically designed to project specifications to minimize waste
- Local & Regional Materials – Using Heatizon for Projects within 500 miles of the production facility or regional distributors can contribute to points
- MR Credit 5.1: 1 Point, MR Credit 5.2: 1 Point
Indoor Environmental Quality
- Minimum IAQ Performance – Heatizon elements generate low levels of heat without moving air or disturbing airborne particulates.
- EQ Prerequisite 1
- Thermal Comfort – zoned, controlled heat requirements
- EQ Credit 7.1: 1 point
- Construction IAQ Management Plan – no harmful chemicals or special handling of materials required
- During Construction – EQ Credit 3.1: 1 point
- Before Occupancy – EQ Credit 3.2: 1 point
Innovation & Design Process
- ID Credit 1: 1-4 points